Kenny Community School is always ready to show you what makes our school a nurturing and effective place to educate children.
To meet with us or to tour our school please call us at 612-668-3340.
Here’s useful information for the summer.
• The Kenny office is open through June and closed in July. The office voice mail is checked occasionally. The office reopens August 1.
• Stay in touch with us this summer on Facebook.
• School starts for grades 1 through 5 on Monday, August, 25.
• Kindergarten begins on Wednesday, August 27.
• New to Kenny this fall? Join us for POPSICLES IN THE PARK, a casual gathering for new families 6:30-7:30 on Wednesday, August 13 in the Kenny Park.
• Kindergarten parents and all new parents to Kenny School. Join us for “Tears and Cheers” in the school lobby at 8:00 a.m.. on Wednesday, August 27. This is an opportunity to meet Kenny parents and enjoy a cup of coffee after you drop off your new Kenny student!
• Ready to buy your school supplies? Here's a list of what you need.
• Update your personal calendar with important dates from Minneapolis Public Schools
• Keep your Kenny student sharp by reading this summer. Click here for book ideas.
• If you and your family would like an easy service project, stop by the Kenny gardens and do some weeding or watering this summer. For information, contact our garden chair, Chris Breva-Erickson firstname.lastname@example.org
HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY SUMMER!
Spring into volunteering at Kenny. Sign up to be on a board for Fall '14!
Wondering how you can be involved?
The 3 parent-staff boards are active during the school year. Sign up this spring to jump into a board membership this fall. The meeting dates follow - then read about what each board does and chose one to get involved in! The names of the chairs and their emails are listed, too should you have any questions.
SITE COUNCIL 2nd Tuesdays of each month at 5:00 p.m. at Kenny School (enter front door)
PTA 2nd Tuesdays of each month at 7:00 p.m. at Kenny School (enter front door)
FOUNDATION 2nd Tuesdays, every other month at 6:00 p.m. (enter front door)
Click here to see the many volunteers that make Kenny School a great place!
Read about the PTA, the Site Council and the Foundation. Then contact one of the chairs listed below and get involved. Are you ready to get involved? We welcome you!
KENNY PARENT TEACHER ASSOCIATION - PTA
The Kenny School PTA is a formal organization composed of parents, teachers and staff that facilitates parental participation. If it’s a fundraiser to buy something for the school, an after- hours social event or even an event during school hours that requires parent volunteers, chances are, the PTA is involved! Here’s a list of what we do.
1. Fall Welcome to school breakfast for staff, and incoming kindergarten parents
2. Art Adventure
3. Barnes & Noble Book Fair
4. Box Tops for Education
5. The exterior sign and interior video monitor messages
6. Fall Festival
7. Fit-n-Fun Walk
8. Weekly newsletter and the Kenny Director
9. Picture Day
10. Plant Sale
11. Reading Month
12. School Tours
13. Science Fair
14. Spirit Wear
15. Student of the Month
16. Turkey Bingo
When does the PTA meet? The first Tuesday of every month (during the school year) at 7:00 p.m. in the Kenny Media Center. The meetings are open. Parents and staff are welcome – and encouraged – to attend!
Who do I contact? Contact Amina Jaafar, PTA president at kennyPTA33721@gmail.com or email@example.com
Click here to see the members of the PTA.
The Site Council is a group of staff and parents who work on issues related to governing the affairs of the school, including budgets, policies, curriculum. This is the planning arm of the school and works very closely with the principal and the School Improvement Plan, which is issued by the district.
When does the Site Council meet? The first Tuesday of every month (during the school year) at 6:00 p.m. in the Kenny Art Room. The meetings are open. Parents and staff are welcome – and encouraged – to attend!
Who do I contact? Contact Marek Tylko, co-chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to see the members of the Site Council
The Kenny Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that raises funds to support the mission of the school. The Foundation reviews funding requests from staff and parents and allocates money when the requests support the goals of the school. We raise funds by parents designating Kenny as the recipient of company giving programs and through our annual March Magic fundraising party.
When does the Foundation meet? The first Tuesday of every month (during the school year) at 6:00 p.m. in the Kenny Art Room. The meetings are open. Parents and staff are welcome – and encouraged – to attend!
Who do I contact? Ally Marshall at email@example.com
Click here to see the members of the Foundation
Congratulations to Kenny School
Named 2013 "Celebration School" by Minnesota Department of Education
This distinguished honor was given to Kenny School by Dr. Brenda Cassellius, Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Education. Only 48 schools out of the 160 applications received the honor. View the list here.
The selection of Kenny School is a reflection of the gains the school has made over the past year and the quality application submitted that tells the story of Kenny's efforts to improve student achievement.
Kenny Newsletter: May 7, 2014
May 2014 (.PDF)
Click here to see all the great things happening in Media!
Click here to see where your help is needed
5720 Emerson Ave. South Minneapolis, MN 55419
Telephone: 612.668.3340 | Fax: 612.668.3350