It was a summer of hard work at Kenny Community School where major hallway improvements updated the hallways of our beautiful, 1955 mid-century modern school building. See the pictures here. Thanks to:
· Mr. Gibbs, school principal, who worked with Minneapolis Public Schools to secure the installation of new lockers and Kenny engineers Charles Young and Scott Zweber for onsite help
· Minneapolis Public Schools, especially Tom Campbell and the paint shop crew and Clay Larson and team from the sheet metal shop on locker installation.
· The Kenny School Foundation, and the financial contributions of Kenny parents, for funding the refinishing of the hallway floors and hallway signs. The Foundation also funded the installation of professional-grade entryway rugs, inspiration signage and upgrades to the art room window and bulletin boards.
· Volunteers Kathy Engen, Shannon Gunaca, Kendra Kramer, Sarah Kuhn, Kris Lyons, Allison Marshall, Allison Thiesing, and Lynn Barnhart for many hours doing the following.
o Cleaning the engineers’ office and storage area
o Cleaning classroom display windows
o Cleaning and updating hallway bulletin boards
o Painting the art window display, new media center magazine rack and refinishing the entryway tables
o Updating the staff bulletin board with a Lorax theme
o Cleaning lockers and washing windows
o Creation of templates to upgrade temporary signs
· A professional color palette for the school was developed by DeDe Erpelding
· Mill City Cleaning owned by Kenny parents Dave and Teri Fischer, for working with Kenny on a plan to refinish the hallway floors and restoring them to their 1955 grandeur. The refinishing was an intensive process that included a session in June to strip the floors and two sessions in August to refinish the floors.
Finishing touches to be completed this fall include the restoration of three lobby benches and providing updated furnishings for the office of the nurse and family liaison.
The goal of the 2014 Hallway Improvement Project: Increase pride in Kenny school and keep our hallways clean!